Myopia management / control is a treatment to slow down the progression of shortsightedness (myopia) by up to 60% using specially prescribed myopia management spectacle lenses or contact lenses for children and young adults, now available at Loxley.
Myopia Is Increasing
Approximately 2.6 billion people were diagnosed with myopia in 2020, this number is predicted to rise to around 4.9 billion by 2050!
Why Is this Important?
Shortsightedness is associated with diseases such as myopic macular degeneration, retinal detachment, cataract, and open angle glaucoma. Which can all lead to sight loss. The higher the myopia or nearsightedness, the greater the risk of developing these conditions.
However, if we reduce shortsightedness by just 1 diopter in an individual, we could reduce the risk of developing myopic maculopathy by 40% irrespective of the severity of myopia. Myopic maculopathy (MM), also known as myopic macular degeneration can cause visual impairment and blindness.
Specialised spectacle lenses and contact lenses are now available at Loxley to slow down myopia. We now regard myopia management as key to reducing the risk of these eye conditions for all children and young adults who are developing shortsightedness.
Helpful tip … Head Outdoors !!
Just by spending 1-2 hours a day outdoors reduces the risk of becoming short sighted by up to 50%.
So our advice is start going on those long walks – it’s not only good for your general health, mental health but also your eye health!
Outdoor activity seems to offer a protective effect in preventing the development of short sightedness. Therefore, if either parent is myopic and your child has not yet developed myopia, this advice is definitely worth taking.
The lockdowns have not helped ... Near Work and Myopia
The amount of time and how close children hold things has been shown to be related to progression of short sightedness (myopia). In general, limit near activities outside of school to 2 hours – that includes mobile devices and tablets
Myopia Management Programme
At Loxley we offer proven ways to slow down myopia. Our myopia management plan is a dedicated monitoring and treatment plan for each young myope.
- BOOK NOW for your child’s Initial Myopia Management Appointment which will include Biometry axial length measurement, corneal topography and cycloplegic refraction. All theses extra data points will allow Indy to monitor your child’s eye health with accuracy.
- Indy, with you and your child will select the best method to manage your Childs myopia
- Your child will be reviewed in 14 days, then again in 12 weeks.
The initial appointments is £100 this included all the initial tests, and the follow up that determine suitability.
MiYOSMART Spectacle Lenses
Utilizing groundbreaking lens technology, MiYOSMART lenses are the latest technological breakthrough in myopia management. Research over 2 years shows these lenses slow eye growth and myopia by around 60% for children who start treatment at an average age of 10.
MiYOSMART lenses are £350. We understand that offering premium treatments like MiYOSMART are costly. That’s why we offer a 12 month warranty. If your child’s prescription changes more than 0.50D (the normal change in myopia over a year) within a year of ordering the lenses, we will provide a free set of new updated lenses.
MiSight Contact Lenses
The first FDA approved 1 day disposable contact lens for myopia management. 3 year results show a 52% reduction in eye growth when treatment was started at the age of 10. Extensively researched, the latest 6 year results show that 23% of wearers’ prescriptions had not increased at all.
MiSight lenses are £50 per month
The sooner we start Myopia control the more effective it is shown to be.
The percentage data for one versus another type of treatment does not mean one treatment is better than another.
Treatment effect varies according to duration of treatment. Don’t worry though, Indy will demystify complex science.
References & Links
- D.I. Flitcroft, The complex interactions of retinal, optical and environmental factors in myopia aetiology, Progress in Retinal and Eye Research, Volume 31, Issue 6, 2012, pp 622-660.
- Xiong S, Sankaridurg P, Naduvilath T, et al. Time spent in outdoor activities in relation to myopia prevention and control: a meta-analysis and systematic review. Acta Ophthalmol. 2017;95(6):551-566.
- Huang HM, Chang DS, Wu PC. The Association between Near Work Activities and Myopia in Children-A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. PLoS One. 2015;10(10):e0140419. Published 2015 Oct 20. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0140419.
- Lam CSY, Tang WC, Tse DY, Lee RPK, Chun RKM, Hasegawa K, Qi H, Hatanaka T, To CH. Defocus Incorporated Multiple Segments (DIMS) spectacle lenses slow myopia progression: a 2-year randomised clinical trial. Br J Ophthalmol. 2020 Mar;104(3):363-368. doi: 10.1136/bjophthalmol-2018-313739.
- Chamberlain, Paul BSc (Hons)1∗; Peixoto-de-Matos, Sofia C. MSc2; Logan, Nicola S. PhD3; Ngo, Cheryl MBBS, MMed4; Jones, Deborah BSc, FAAO5; Young, Graeme PhD, FAAO6 A 3-year Randomized Clinical Trial of MiSight Lenses for Myopia Control, Optometry and Vision Science: August 2019 – Volume 96 – Issue 8 – p 556-567.
We'd love to
hear from you!
Give us a call on+44 (0)115 837 5960
Or drop us an email.
Join the Loxley Club
For the latest updates on new frames,
services and much more!